Web Content Viewer
How to Refund Overpayments
Per OAC 5160-1-19 ODM does not accept checks for claim over payments. Claims must be adjusted. Please click to learn more.
How to Refund Overpayments

The Ohio Department of Medicaid (ODM) implemented the Medicaid Information Technology System (MITS) on August 2, 2011. As a result, we have decreased reliance on paper processing and gained efficiencies for providers to return overpayments to Medicaid.

Please note that ODM no longer accepts claim refunds by paper checks. Paper checks will be returned to a provider so that the instructions on this page can be followed. For more information, please refer to Ohio Administrative Code 5160:1-19.

Providers are to refund overpayments to ODM within sixty days of discovery. Providers can offset overpaid claims against a future payment. There are two ways this can do be done:

  • If the claim is within 3 years of the paid date, submit an adjustment request through the Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) or MITS web portal.
  • If the claim is greater than 3 years and less than 7 years from the paid date, the adjustment can be submitted via the EDI adjustment process.

Instructions to return overpayments can be found on the ODM website:

Questions concerning the return of overpayments can be directed to the Claims Adjustment Unit at (614) 466-5080.